In case you haven’t already noticed, Office 365 has had it’s UK pricing refreshed for the “E” Plans…
So, the entry level E1 plan is now just £5.25 per user/month (was £6.00). This puts it a mere £1.25 per user/month more expensive than the P plan which remains at £4.00 per user/month.
The E1 plan includes:
Active Directory integration
24/7 support from Microsoft
Enterprise grade Email, Calendar, Contacts with Exchange Online
Colaboration with SharePoint online and Instant Messaging
Instant messaging, presence and online meetings with Lync Online
AntiVirus & Antispam filtering for email and sites
License rights to access on-premise Exchange/SharePoint and Lync Servers.
The E2 plan is now £9 oer user/month and includes everything in the E1 plan plus:
Office Web Apps (Word/Excel/PowerPoint and OneNote on the web)
(I think the E2 will remain relatively unloved – it needs more to diferentiate itself if customers are going to fork out the extra £3.75 per user per month)
My favoured plan – the E3 plan now comes in at a tantalising £13.25 per user/month and frankly – at that price I think it’s a bit of a steel! It includes everything on the E1 & E2 plan and adds:
The complete Office Professional Plus (the client version). Yes, that’s right – all E3 subscribers get install rights for the current and all future Office Pro Plus version for the duration of their subscription.
SharePoint Online gets enhanced with Visio Services (for visualising data and workflows) and Access Services (for web based database functionality)
Unlimited e-mail storage. Yes I did say unlimited. Your Exchange Online mailbox will still hold 25GB of data, but you have as much archive storage as you want for all those old e-mails you just can’t bring yourself to delete!
And finally, the E4 plan is now cheaper than the E3 plan was: Just £14.50.
E4 adds full enterprise voice capabilities to Lync Server on-premise.
As you probably gather, I normally recommend the E1 or E3 plans to customers and this new pricing is pretty compelling.
Please get in touch if you want to know more about Office 365, would like us to assist with your Office 365 trial (or set one up for you), or would like us to support/assist with your existing Office 365 deployment.
I’ve spent a couple of days recently trying to get Access 2003 Data Access Pages (DAPs) working within a Windows 7 environment.
Yes, I know DAPs are no longer a supported technology as far as Microsoft are concerned but what The Client wants The Client gets. And they did have a reasonable reason for wanting DAPs to work at least in the short to medium term.
What are the symptoms?
When you open the DAP within Access it all works swimmingly, however when you open the DAP directly by double clicking on the .HTM file any data fields (text boxes etc) within the DAP are populated with the dreaded “#Name?”.
The same DAPs work fine on XP Pro machines but not Win7 Pro. I’d even gone as far as creating fresh virtual machines to ensure there were no corrupt or missing DLLs and OCX files but no joy.
Googling for solutions didn’t help – DAPs have long since been abandoned by Microsoft and most users and Access developers have moved on, so answers were thin on the ground – a few others have been seeking solutions but none of the proposed answers that worked for them worked for me.
I was left with trial and error. I’d assumed the issue lay with IE9 (or IE8) but as “Compatibility Mode” didn’t help I decided I had to minimise the security within IE9 as far as I could and see if I could the DAPs to work. Which they did! I then had to unpick all the settings again until I found out exactly which setting had caused the issue.
So what’s the solution?
Firstly you will have to place the files and database in a folder which is accessible via a UNC path (e.g. \computerfolder), this is so that when you view the files in IE, IE will understand that they are in the “Intranet” security zone.
Connect the DAP and the database using the UNC path.
Within IE, click the Tools menu (or the cog, dependent on version) and select “Internet Options”
Go to the “Security” tab
Click “Local Intranet”
Uncheck the box labelled “Enable Protected Mode”
Click “Custom Level…”
Scroll down the list of settings until you find “Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting”
Click “Enable” (NOTE: selecting “Prompt” will NOT work)
Click OK twice to return to IE
Open the DAP and it should work.
Hopefully it will work for you too!
Obviously it’s up to you to satisfy yourself that you fully understand the security implications of making the above changes – even for your Intranet security zone, but if you really must use Access 2003 DAPs in the modern world, then this could well be your only option.